Sunday, July 7, 2013

French Onion Casserole recipe

One of my family's favorite side dishes is this french onion casserole.  It is cheesy and creamy and filled with onions and delicious.  The first time I made it, my whole family (minus the baby) gobbled it up.  Ever since that first time, whenever I make it, I need to make an extra big batch of it because everyone wants seconds and thirds.  So yummy!  You don't have to be a fan of french onion soup to like this. In fact, I made it for my friend Moe, who is a singer down in Nashville, and she had never had french onion soup before she tried this.  Now she asks me to make it whenever she makes it back home for a visit.


3-5 yellow onions
1 tsp soy sauce
1 can cream of chicken soup undiluted (cream of broccoli can be used for vegetarian dishes)
2/3 cup of milk
2-3 tbsp butter
black pepper
2 cups shredded swiss cheese (or a mix of mozzarella and swiss)
1 french bread baguette


I start with 3-5 large onions. 



I slice them up thin and sautee on med/med-high heat with 2-3 tbsp of butter. 
 
I make sure to cook them until they are clear, a little brown is fine. Then I place them at the bottom of a casserole dish or rectangle glass dish.  (I ended up doubling my recipe this week, so I used a huge glass dish.) I put half of the cheese and a sprinkling of black pepper to taste on top of the onions. 
 
Now in the same cooking pan, I put the cream soup, milk and soy sauce and stir until blended.  Now pour that on top of your onions.  You can mix this around a little.  Slice up the baguette and place the slices on top of the soup mixture.  You can push them down a little, but you want the bread tops sticking out from the onion/soup mixture. 
 
Bake for about 15 minutes at 350*.  Pull the dish out of the oven, put the rest of the cheese on top, covering most of the bread and soup/onion mixture.  Now bake for another 10-15 minutes until cheese is melted and soup is bubbly in the corners and sides. 
 
 
 
 
This is the perfect side dish for pretty much any meal.  We usually do it with some sort of chicken dish but it would go well with steak, burgers, pork chops, even Thanksgiving dinner.  It re-heats nicely, too, for leftovers..... although there usually aren't many leftovers when I cook this casserole up. 

No comments: