Wednesday, May 29, 2013

The search for running shoes

I have to start off by saying I am not a runner.  Let me repeat, I AM NOT A RUNNER.  But I try to run. I had lost over 100 lbs over the course of 3 years, then got pregnant again, had the baby, and now I'm battling with 30 lbs that I gained back.  Im trying to lose it in a healthy way, but in a way that will be easy enough for me to continue with for a long time.  I don't want a quick fix where I'll gain it all back the second I eat a crumb of bread or a spoon of ice cream.  So I have started healthier eating, cutting back on calories, carbs, sugar and fat, and exercising slowly.  Like super slow. Ssssssslllloooooooowwwwwllllyyyyyy.  In fact, I keep starting back at the beginning of couch to 5k because I cannot get my ass to run long enough to keep up with week 2.  But, Im trying!  Remember, Im not a runner!  That being said, I am walking/jogging about 3-4 times a week.  I do between 1 and 3 miles each time.  I do as much as I can, in the time that I have, usually with my kids.  I feel that they slow me down right now, but thats okay because I love spending time with them and showing them that Mom is trying to get healthier! 

So I run outside, in a cul de sac by my house.  The Couch to 5k app on my phone has me do a 5 minute warm up, then the first week you run for 60 seconds, walk for 90 seconds and then switch back and forth for 20 minutes.  Then you cool down with a 5 minute walk.  I've been fine with it for a few weeks, but then my trouble started.   Last week I was outside and as my first run started, my knees instantly felt like someone was kicking me in them.  I stopped running, gave myself another minute and a half of walking and tried again.  I couldnt get 10 seconds of running in before my knees would start screaming out in pain again.  I had no idea what was wrong. 

So I checked online with my running friends on Facebook and each one said I probably needed a good stretch and new sneakers.  This was a total bummer for me.  My Dad bought me nice running sneakers only about a month ago.  And then, because they were so comfortable, I went out and bought another pair in a different color.  Two pairs of brand new sneakers and now I need to get ANOTHER pair? 

This week I was lucky enough to have a company send me some Dr Scholl's massaging gel inserts.  So my next step is to try these in my sneakers, and then I'll try the new Dr Scholl's orthotic inserts.  (I'm trying to get comfortable the most inexpensive way possible!) I guess if those don't work, my next step is to try new sneakers. 

So my question to you, my readers and followers is which sneakers should I try?  I have wide feet, so I need something comfortable.  Brand isnt important to me, comfort and support is.  I have a high arch, too.   I need something that will fit me wide foot, yet support my high arch and keep my knees happy.  Is that too tall of an order?  Do any of you have any other suggestions for me?  Should I try something completely different?  Or are my friends on the right track by telling me I need new sneakers?  Let me know, dear readers..... I need some help getting this ass in shape!! 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I bought a pair of good New Balance sneakers from the New Balance store. They were expensive, but a year later they still work just as good as the day I bought them. I have wide feet to and they fit perfectly. They also have a "stabilicore" around the arch.

ellenmoshier@gmail.com said...

Hi - go to roadrunnersports.com and do the shoe finder test. Or, go to marathon sports and they will watch you walk and fit you. Finding the right shoe is important but, it is also important to strength train. I don't do it as much as I used to and noticed that my knees now hurt too. You need strong muscles to stabilize the knee when running. You are off to a good start with your squat challenge but add in some lunges too!