Tuesday, May 14, 2013

Todays dinner recipe: baked veggie patties

We are doing a pork loin for dinner.  Probably seasoned and grilled, knowing my husband.  But my job is the side dish.  I'm attempting these.... http://pinterest.com/pin/474074298245184829/  Broccoli cheese bites, found on Pinterest.  My kids are very choosy.  My son loves veggies of all shapes and sizes, and is really good about trying new veggies or ways too cook them.  My girls wont eat many veggies at all, they are all about the fruit, instead.  Getting my big kids to help in the kitchen (and in the veggie garden!) gets them excited to try foods that they were reluctant to try before.  My big kids love to measure and love to crack the eggs, so this recipe is perfect for them.  Plus, it includes cheese, which is one of their all time favorite foods.  Can't go wrong with a cheesy gooey goodness.  We just planted broccoli in our vegetable garden.  Its our first year growing broccoli, so hopefully this summer/fall, we will be eating these bites with our home grown broccoli instead of getting it from the grocery store.
Here is a picture of my older daughter helping with a recipe.  No matter what it is that we cook, my kids are always willing to atleast try it if they help make it. 


So dinner last night was good.  We marinated the pork in a bourbon sauce, and Hubby grilled it.  I made some garlic cheddar biscuits and the broccoli bites turned into broccoli cauliflower and spinach patties instead.  (Hubby said "Make them a bigger, manly size!" and so I did.) I drained the spinach, chopped the broccoli and cauliflower in my food processor (I used about 2 cups of chopped veggies) and mixed it with a cup of italian bread crumbs, a cup of grated cheddar and lowfat mozzarella, 3 eggs, and some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. 
I mixed it by hand, made the patties, greased a baking sheet and popped them in the oven at 375*.
I flipped them after 15 min and cooked them for an additional 20 minutes.  I probably could have used more cheese.  They weren't as gooey as I would have liked, but the kids ate them, especially my son who gobbled 3 patties AND took two leftovers for school lunch today!