Wednesday, October 16, 2013

The Honest Company Diaper review

I was lucky enough to be chosen to receive a package of "Honest" diapers to use on my daughter and review.  I'm pretty set in my ways.  When I find a good product that works for me, I stick with it.  That's how it's been with my regular diapers.  When my son was an infant, we used all sorts of diapers that we got for the baby shower.  Some leaked, some drooped, some gave his sensitive skin a rash.  But one company (We'll call them 'Company A') stood out with almost no leaks, almost no droops, almost no rashes.  Sometimes there would be a diaper blowout, sometimes there would be wet, red skin.  We occasionally would get a nighttime leak and would then move up to the larger size for bedtime, but generally, we were happy with our diaper choice.  And we couldn't find a better diaper, so why fix it when it ain't completely broke, right?  Generally we were happy.  Nothing is perfect, right?  And so we have stuck with Company A for all three of my babies....... Until now. 
 
I received a package of HONEST Co. Diapers from a company called "Your Family".  Read all about them HERE.  They are basically a one stop shop for parents.  They help with nanny placement, baby registries, child-proofing, basic infant/child care and information and so much more.  They are amazing and so incredibly helpful.  And not only that, but they are the sweetest bunch of Moms and ladies that you could imagine.  So when they were looking for Mom's to test out Honest Diapers, I was lucky enough that they came to me.  I did my research before I received the package.  I read all about them.  The Honest company is all about sustainable living.  Eco-friendly products that are also safe and effective.  It is partially run by actress Jessica Alba, who is a Mom of two.  She has tried to do the best she can by providing a safe, healthy home for her two girls. That included taking out all toxic risks from her daughter's home...... cleaning products, diapers, soap, and body washes.  And so The Honest Co. was born.  Healthy, non toxic everyday household items were created.  Their line includes diapers, wipes, teethers, lotions, toothpaste, soap, sunscreen, sanitizer, bug spray, laundry detergent, dish soap, fruit and veggie wash, toilet cleaner, dish towels, vitamins, lip balm and the list goes on and on and on. 
 
But seeing is believing, right?  And I didn't believe that something made to be good for the earth, as well as healthy for us could also do what it is supposed to do.  My biggest worry was "would it contain all the poop and pee?"  I doubted it.  And I figured it was all natural, so chances are it would be easy on my baby's delicate skin, but it would probably fit weird, or leave her skin wet, or I'd need to change her so often that it would be pointless to keep her in these diapers overnight or else I'd be up at 2am changing not only a soaking wet baby but a soaking wet mattress and sheets.  Who wants to do laundry in the middle of the night????? 
 
Well the package arrived and I instantly fell in love with the modern designs.  Vibrant colors, cute prints, a great assortment.  
 
But cute doesn't hold in the poop!  I needed to test these diapers out.  I read the info on their website.
 
  • Plant-based (PLA) inner & outer layers — gentle on your baby's bottom
  • Sustainably harvested pulp - NO chlorine processing or harsh chemical bleaches
  • Natural citrus & chlorophyll odor-inhibitors
  • Bio-based wheat/corn blend in super-absorbent core — less sodium polyacrylate
  • Yes, diapers can be fun too! Cute, stylish designs for girls & boys — updated seasonally! Never miss out.
  • Comfy-stretch side panels & soft, refastenable tabs for perfect fit & wigglability!
  • Securely fitting moisture barrier cuffs prevent leakage & blowouts — fewer accidents, less laundry!
  • Simply pure — NO risky fragrances, lotions, or latex
  • Gentle, safe, and non-irritating for the most sensitive skin

  •  
     They sure promised a lot!  But would they deliver???  I was really doubtful. 
     
    My baby is super slim, but long.  She is normally in a size 3 diaper, and is 19 lbs at 18 months old.  I checked their sizing chart and she fell into the size 3 category, 16lbs-28 lbs.  That is a large span of weight!  I doubted this diaper was going to work.   So I put the first diaper on my baby. It fit really well.  Hmm.  How could that be?  The tabs stayed closed, there were no gaps at her legs, it fit securely around her belly and on her back. 
     
     I let her run around that first day with just the diaper on, to see which movements made the diaper gap or bunch or even come off....... it stayed completely in place the whole time. 
     
    I was shocked.  But the real test was still coming.  You see, my girl is a heavy drinker.  No, not like THAT.  She just likes to drink a lot..... of milk, juice, water.  The girl drinks.  And she pees.  And she drinks.  And she pees.  And I am constantly changing her.  So I gave her a sippy cup of water and I waited.  Surprisingly, this Honest diaper didnt sag, droop, look full AT ALL.  When most diapers look like they are going to bust open and leak everywhere, this diaper didn't even look half full.  I was impressed!  When I changed my girl I was impressed the most.  Even with all that liquid in her diaper, her skin was bone dry underneath.   No rash, no redness to her skin, no wetness at all.  The diaper completely wicked it away and left her skin dry and healthy. 
     
    But I still hadn't tested this diaper out to its fullest capacity.  My Husband wasn't sure I should do it, but I ignored his request to use our regular diaper and I put my girl in an Honest diaper for bedtime.  I was fully prepared for a nighttime wakeup call, a sheet change, a laundry load.  But when I woke up at my normal morning time and went to go get my baby, she had a full morning diaper with no leaks, no sags, no droops.  Her pajamas were dry, her bed was dry and when I opened her diaper, even her skin was dry.  These diapers were totally impressing me!!! 
     
    So after using all of the diapers I was sent, and not being able to find ONE thing that I didn't like about them, I decided to go looking for the one thing that could possibly keep me from completely switching my diaper brand to The Honest Company.  What is the most obvious thing that a Mom on a budget could possibly HATE?  The price.  Yes.  So I started checking out the Honest website prices.  For size 3 diapers in my regular brand, 31-34 diapers are around $11.49.  34 Honest size 3 diapers are $13.95.  Now I admit, I get my diapers on sale, with a coupon.  So this $13.95 did make me 'gulp' just a little bit.  BUT.....  since the Honest diapers aren't leaking, and I'm not changing them as often, I would actually be paying less per week on diapers using the Honest brand! As a bargainer, I still needed a lower price.  So I checked out their "Bundle".  6 packages of diapers, 4 packages of wipes.  $79.95 with free shipping!  That's like paying around $13 per package of diapers and getting all of the wipes for FREE.  You can get the bundle in 6 different diaper styles, too, so you can mix and match the colors and styles with each diaper change! Plus, they have a great invite a friend promotion where you can earn money for your friends that join the Honest co.  It saves you even more money! And they ship their items for free with any order over $50., so that will save me gas money!  I will now be happily switching to The Honest Company's diapers. I am thoroughly impressed by them! 
     
    I'm really happy that I tried The Honest Company's diapers.  I admit, in the beginning, I was not convinced that I would like them, but I was pleasantly surprised at how well these diapers looked, felt, worked, and made my daughter's skin look and feel.  I am totally impressed and am very eager to try more Honest products soon!!
     
    Thank you to the Honest Co. and Thank you YOUR FAMILY for allowing me to sample and review this product!  I was given this product to try for free in return for a review on my blog.  This review is my own HONEST (haha, pun fully intended!) opinion. 
     









    1 comment:

    Spanky McCloud said...

    "heavy drinker" - HA!! Very cute.