Thursday, October 24, 2013

Caramel Apples

Everyone over on Facebook, Twitter and on Instagram is posting pictures of their families at the apple orchards lately.  Did you all pick a ton of apples?  Did you make an apple pie?  Did you make some applesauce?  Did you eat an apple or two and then look at the ton of apples left and think "What the heck am I going to do with all of these apples??"?  Well here is a quick and easy idea for you...... a reverse caramel apple.  I love a good caramel apple. They are messy but delicious and so much fun to make and eat. But this weekend I saw something on my Facebook feed that interested me. It was an apple sliced in half, cored out with most of the fruit removed, and then warm caramel poured in and cooled.  It looked and sounded amazing.

Werther's Originals has a new baking caramel.  It's perfect for melting, drizzling, adding to baked goods.  And it's even perfect for dipping.  So last night I grabbed a bag of Werther's Originals caramels, melted it down with about 2 Tbsp of cream (low heat in a saucepan, stirring constantly) cut up the apples and removed most of the insides, I put them on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and then I poured the caramel inside.  I had to sort of balance the apples against each other so they didn't topple over and spill.  I also dipped a couple of apples after putting a lollipop stick at the top of them.  I dipped, then twirled slowly, allowing the caramel to cool a bit before dipping again.  I put the caramel apple in a bowl in the freezer to set quicker.  The reverse caramel apples I put in the fridge for about 2 hours to set. 



Both recipes were a hit.  The reverse caramel apples were sliced up and served on plates as a snack.  And the regular apples were served on the stick and my kids dove in. 



If you are looking for more caramel recipes using Werther's Originals new baking caramels, please visit http://werthers.werthersecloud.us/

No comments: