Sunday, August 18, 2013

Crockpot ranch chicken recipe

There are many days I am in a pinch for dinner.  My Husband works a lot, and so its just me, running around with the kids to appointments, classes, sports, school, etc.  My crockpot saves me a lot of time and frustration.  I've had the same crockpot since my wedding 10 years ago, and I use it on a weekly basis.  It is, hands down, the most frequently used item that we got for our wedding.  I use my crockpot mostly for dinner, but there are times I use it for breakfast or even dessert.  It is extremely helpful on those days when free time is non existent and fast food isnt an option.  As long as you have a recipe in mind and the groceries to match, with a crockpot, you can have dinner ready on time, no matter how busy you have been during the day.

Most of my crockpot meals start with chicken.  I normally buy the boneless skinless breasts when they are on sale and I stuff my extra freezer full, so Im ready for any chicken recipe.  With the crockpot, you dont have to thaw the chicken if you forgot to pull it out of the freezer ahead of time.  I normally put my frozen chicken at the bottom of the crockpot (sprayed with non stick spray) and then the other ingredients on top.  Give it a quick stir a few times throughout the day, and you are good to go.  This crockpot recipe takes 3 ingredients.  Chicken, plain Greek yogurt (Or sour cream) and a packet of ranch seasoning.  I usually do one chicken breast per family member.  I put in 1 cup of sour cream for 4-5 chicken breasts and toss the seasonings right on top.  You can add veggies to this, my favorites are onions and mushrooms.  You could add spinach, broccoli, cauliflower, peppers.... basically whatever your family will eat.  I add the veggies later on, about an hour before its done.  Cook on low, and stir a few times. 

 
By 5-6 hours into it, the chicken should be shredding apart when you stir it.  If you used bone-in chicken, the chicken should be falling off the bone by about 6-7 hours.  I normally serve this with a salad on the side, but you could cook egg noodles to turn it into a casserole-type dish.  It tastes good in pasta or on its own. 

 

1 comment:

Heroguy624 said...

Sounds easy and very yummy!