Wednesday, August 28, 2013

A little before and after

Yesterday I posted a before and after picture on the Monkeys and Moustaches Facebook page and on Instagram.  I keep getting questions from people about why I'm exercising and why I'm trying to eat healthier.  My número UNO answer is that I need to be a role model for my kids.  I have a 9 year old boy, a 5 year old girl and a 16 month old girl that I have to be around a long time for.  I have to teach them the right things about living  healthy so they can live long lives and be role models for their children.  They watch my every move and pretend to be like me. Because of this, I try to keep a lot from them.  I don't curse, I don't watch questionable tv when they are awake.  I teach them to be respectful and polite and kind to others.  Unfortunately some of the things I did in front of them weren't the best choices.  That included my over-eating and poor food choices. Monkey see, Monkey do, right?  So I had to make changes so my monkeys would learn to live healthier and make better food choices.  I admit, it isn't easy.  And I also admit that I love desserts and fatty foods.  So almost 5 years ago I made a decision to change my life and do what is best for myself and my family.  


On the left was me about 4.5 years ago.  On the right is me about 3 weeks ago.  My right picture was taken about 25 lbs heavier than my lowest weight.  I had lost about 140 lbs after my first daughter was born.  Then after a death in my family i gained and lost 20-25 lbs back and forth and a pregnancy and then birth of my second daughter, I had 30 extra pounds on me.  I sort of gave up for a while. Back in May of this year I realized I had enough and wanted to be back at my lowest weight.  So Monkeys and Moustaches was born and my quest to continue to live healthier continued.  I started couch to 5k, and with the help of my friend Mika, I started doing daily exercise challenges like the 50-250 squats that I did for the month of July.  I started taking Bodywise classes and then started my own exercise challenge over on Facebook.  Since May, I will admit, I've only lost 6 lbs but the way my clothes are fitting now make me believe that the inches I've lost is more than 6 lbs worth.  My kids are watching me workout.  They do exercises right along with me.  They make better good choices and choose smaller portion sizes.  Do I cheat?  Of course!  Do I snack?  Yes! Do I let my kids eat fast food or sugary snacks?  Absolutely! But for the most part, our choices are healthy and balanced.  I am on a quest to make my life healthy and long and as happy as I can.  And knowing that other people are looking to me as inspiration just makes my heart feel like it will burst.  I'm in this for the long run, and I hope you are, too. Please continue to follow me and cheer me on.  And know that I am cheering you all on, too!!! 

1 comment:

ellenmoshier@gmail.com said...

I am SO very proud of you. Being healthy and thin is not easy. I have honestly been on a diet since I was 10. I pack salads for lunch and drag my butt to the gym almost every day. Because I love salads and running? No. I hate them but when I put on weight I don't feel as good. My weight yo-yo's and there are months when I can't seem to lose anything. Consistency is key. It's a lifetime commitment for sure!! Good for you being such an awesome mom role model!