Wednesday, August 14, 2013

A healthy pizza recipe

We are on a roll with pizza posts lately, so why not add another one?   A good friend of mine told me about this recipe a few months ago and I've been making it for my Husband and I ever since.  It is delicious and filling and can be changed each time you make it, depending on what you have in the fridge or what you are craving. 

Portabello mushrooms (i usually plan on two mushrooms per person.)
Pizza sauce
mozzarella cheese
pizza toppings.... sausage, chicken, peppers, onions, pepperoni, assorted cheeses, etc
spices... garlic, salt and pepper, oregano, basil

Preheat oven to 375*.  gently wash the portobellos off and dry thoroughly.  Scoop out the stem and enough of the middle so you have room to add enough toppings to make you happy.  Put the tops on a baking sheet and start filling them.  I usually do the sauce first, seasonings, the mushrooms definitely need atleast some salt and pepper on them.  I also add some garlic, oregano, and italian seasoning.  I then fill with my favorite toppings.  Here I used some sausages, peppers and onions, left over from dinner the night before.  Then I covered with shredded mozzarella.  I baked for about 12-15 minutes until the cheese is completely melted.  This is a great substitution when you are serving the kids pizza and want something healthier.  Its also a fabulous low carb recipe. 



No comments: