Sunday, December 29, 2013

Starting the new year off right.

2013 was a year of new beginnings for me.  I started this blog mid 2013.  I met lots of new people.  I made lots of new recipes.  I started new workouts.  I learned that although I don't love working out and having to eat healthier, I do love how I feel when I do both. 

2014 is going to be the year to work on me.  My kids are getting more independent and so I will have more time to be healthier, to devote to my well being, as well as setting a good example for my children.  I have already checked out local gyms and classes and know where I will be joining once I get daycare situations situated and the kids are back in school.  I will do more exercising, I will eat healthier.  More lean protein, more healthy veggies and fruits.  Less sugar, less fat.  But I will teach my family that there is balance in everything, including healthy eating.  We can snack, we can eat unhealthy foods, but we must balance it out so the healthy is the main part of our daily routine.  This recipe is a great example of that.  It is a yummy snack, full of peanut butter and chocolate but it is on the healthier end of the snack spectrum.  Lower in sugar, fat and calories.  High in protein, potassium and fiber.


Banana oat protein peanut butter cookies


 Ingredients:
1 mashed banana (the more ripe, the better)
3/4 cup of oats
1/4 cup of your favorite chocolate chips.  I like Ghiardelli dark chips.
2 tbsp protein peanut/almond butter (I get mine at my local nutrition store).  You can use regular low sugar peanut butter, or sunflower butter, too. 
 I like this brand because it is super high in protein, no sodium, no sugar added and full of flavor.  It comes in some fantastic flavors, too! 
 
Preheat the oven to 350*.  Mash the banana fully, then mix in the oats.  (I let my 5 year old do the mixing.)



 
Add the almond butter and chocolate chips and mix thoroughly.  This recipe will about 6-8 cookies.  I use the scoop and drop method, scooping some batter with a spoon, then dropping it on a cookie sheet lined with foil.  The cookies do not spread when baked, so they will look exactly how you put them on the pan when they are finished.  Bake for 12-15 minutes, until edges are golden brown.  Allow to cool and enjoy. 
 
I ended up making a batch for me, and then a nut free batch for my son who has nut allergies.  We used his favorite sunflower butter. He loves these cookies and they are completely safe for him. 
 
 





No comments: