Wednesday, November 13, 2013

No slips!

My little one took quite a spill the other day.  She slipped on the kitchen floor while running around in socks and banged her chin on the tiles.  She is okay but I obviously don't want that to happen again.  When she is home, she always has her shoes off.  Sometimes she has bare feet but when she's wearing socks, our hardwoods and our tile floors can be slippery.  Some stores sell their toddler and baby socks with non stick treads.  For those socks that dont come with those treads, it is really easy to make them non slip.  I take my daughter's socks and flatten them down on the counter or table. 

Then I take a puffy paint designed for fabric and draw little designs on the bottom of the socks.  The slick version of the paint works the best.  I find the matte colors dont work so well as a non slip tread.  Put a thick layer of paint on and let it dry really well, atleast 6-7 hours.  I like to leave them overnight to dry. 

Once dry, the paint will last a long time, even through the wash and dryer. Put the socks inside out when you wash and dry them.  Now your little one (and mine) can run all through the house without slipping. 


(It does put a damper on those 'indoor ice skating' parties that my kids like to have.....  pretending that they are ice skating while shuffling their slippery socks along the kitchen floor. Save one pair of slippery socks for those special times!)

1 comment:

KD said...

What a great idea! I am going to have to try this since I have a very rambunctious 4 year old granddaughter! :)