Tuesday, November 12, 2013

Halloween leftovers~ Candy roll

I'm sure we all have a huge bag of candy (x3 in my house!) that we are all trying to avoid right now.  The novelty of having a ton of candy in the house wears off very quickly for my kids, and I hate to throw it away.  We usually get a big portion together to donate, shelters take candy and there are drop off sites for Troop donations.  I usually keep some for Christmas baking.  M&Ms, Jr Mints, Heath, butterfinger are all good for Christmas baking.  And the ones that are my kiddos favorites we end up keeping.  I ended up raiding the piles of their favorites this weekend and baked two different desserts.  One was a chocolate chip cookie bar, which I'll blog about later, and this one which was an experiment that turned out really yummy. 

I ended up taking refrigerated dough and rolling it out into a long rectangle.  I then took some ricotta (You can also use cream cheese.  We were out of cream cheese but had plenty of ricotta) and spread it along the dough.  I melted a few Werther's Originals baking caramels and lightly drizzled that on top of the ricotta.  Then I had the kids pick a few of their favorite candies from their piles.  We ended up using Whoppers, M&M's, Nestle Crunch bars and plain Hershey bars.  I put them in my food processor and crushed them up really good.  Then I spread the mix on top of the caramel drizzle. 


I then rolled the dough up all the way,

put it on a non stick baking sheet and baked it for about 17 min at 350* until the dough was golden. 
I then took the remainder of the melted Werther's caramel and drizzled it on top.  I sliced the roll into 1" slices and my family ended up having it for dessert one night.  It wasn't overly sweet, since the dough and the ricotta cut the sweetness, but it was just enough for a huge treat.  And it was really yummy. 

No comments: