Thursday, March 20, 2014

Samoa 7 layer cake recipe

I made this the other night while having a craving and half way through, I realized I didn't have a crucial ingredient so what did I do?  I improvised as well as I could. And it turned out even better than I imagined.  I had made the whole cake and toppings were on the cake when I asked my husband for the can of sweetened condensed milk.  He handed me a can of unsweetened coconut milk.  When I searched for the condensed milk, I realized we were out. I loved my results after I improvised.

Ingredients: 
Chocolate cake box mix 
2 eggs
1/2 cup oil 
1/2-1 cup of the following: chocolate chips, shredded coconut, caramel pieces.  I chopped werthers baking caramels in tiny pieces and used that. 

1/4 cup unsweetened coconut milk
1 tbsp powered sugar
2 tbsp of Girl Scout Samoa coffee creamer or coconut coffee creamer. 

(Or you can substitute the last 3 ingredients for 1/2 cup sweetened condensed milk) 

Preheat the oven to 350*.  Mix the cake mix with the two eggs and the oil.  Stir until it is blended completely.  Then put the cake batter in a foil lined, sprayed 8x8 or 9x13 pan.  Bake for 10 minutes. 

Pull the pan out of the oven and put half of the chocolate chips, caramel pieces and coconut on top of the cake.  

Whisk the creamer, the coconut milk and the sugar togetherness thoroughly (or gently shake the can of condensed milk really well) and drizzle all over the cake and toppings.  Now add the rest of the toppings and bake for another 20-25 minutes until the center of the cake is completely cooked and the caramel and chocolate are glossy and bubbly. 

You can serve this warm, with vanilla ice cream, or by itself.  Either way, it's delicious and tastes a lot like a Samoa cookie! 

No comments: